Friday, September 5, 2014

A Tribute to Life Point



As we get ready to celebrate Life Point's 7th Anniversary as a church this weekend, I wanted to take a moment to reflect. Time is such a funny thing. I'm sure that to Pastor Aaron and his family, it seems like it has been eons since they uprooted themselves from Arkansas and moved here to plant a church. But seven years....that doesn't seem all that long ago. There may be some of you reading this that feel like your life today isn't all that different than it was seven years ago. But, I want to encourage you that if it doesn't look much different, it may be time to reevaluate things.

Seven years ago, the church began as just a handful of people meeting in the Johnson house for a Bible study. Over the years, the location of the church has changed to accommodate the growth and needs of its members. I am sure seven years ago, Pastor Aaron didn't realize the effect Life Point would have on the community and the families that it ministers to. I can't even really speak to that, because I'm sure I don't even realize the full extent. However, I can speak to the effect it has had on our family.

I can remember very specifically a day within the past year, I am pretty sure it was last fall. We had been at Life Point for almost 4 years. Ben had been on staff for 2 years. Our family had gone to Jamaica the past summer for a mission trip and I was preparing to head to Kenya this summer. My windshield wiper had broken, so I stopped by the Cash's house so Joe could take a look at it. (This is the awesomeness that is our church. Everyone is gifted differently and they do not hesitate to share their gifts!) If you don't know the Cashes they left for the Mission field this summer. Cortney is a doctor and will be working in a hospital in Honduras, and Joe has an agricultural and business background. He will be doing administration in the hospital and working with locals on their farming skills. (You can learn more about them via their blog. Their link is on the right side of this page)

Anyways, I got the luxury of sitting with Cortney and chatting while Joe fixed my wiper. She was showing me pictures that they had recently taken so I could help her select which one to choose for their ministry prayer cards. We got to talk about the process of preparing to go and what it was like. The weird thing was...I was asking the questions more from the perspective of "Wow! They are amazing. How does one even ponder doing that. I could never."

The point to this story is that we shouldn't limit God because of time. Too little time, too much time...it doesn't matter. God is able to accomplish anything within His Will in whatever time frame He chooses. If time has gone by for too long with very little growth, I want to encourage you to honestly ask God why. Is it because you haven't been listening? Is it because you feel safe and comfortable? Is it because He is happy with where you are? I seriously doubt the last question is true. If we aren't growing, if each day we aren't living fuller than the day before, then we are dying. Does this mean you have to sell everything and become a missionary? No! Even that isn't the be all end all. But we do need to make sure we aren't stagnant. For each of us that will look differently.

When you find yourself clinging to comfortable living, I want you to think about how your obedience can directly affect someone else's growth. Let me give you a concrete picture to hold on to. Two years ago Pastor Aaron was asked to go on a mission trip. Not just any mission trip, but a trip to Kenya. If you know Aaron, you know he may be from the country, but he is much more comfortable with warm showers, hair product and hand sanitizer. He could have easily said no. No one would have faulted him. He was very busy running a church. At the time, his wife was working too and kids would be home for the summer. Two weeks is a long time to be away when he already had weeks scheduled for other ministry events. However, he said yes. 

Now try to wrap your mind around how that act of obedience changed the lives of more people than we can count. In a short two years, 20 members from our church went to Jamaica. None of us expected that to happen. One of the families that went got confirmation that they are suppose to head out to the mission field (yea Cashes!!!). The following year 12 members from our church went to Belize and many more served state side at City Reaches. Each one of these families have been affected greatly by these opportunities. When you are talking about a church that has just a little over one hundred attendees, this has a huge impact on the way we all live and serve. This mission mindset that has flourished in our church is a major part of our story. That simple act of obedience. Time. Growth. Change.

Every time I really stop and consider it, my mind is blown. I want you all to understand. WE ARE NOTHING SPECIAL. We aren't more qualified. We don't have a secret gift. We haven't done anything unusual to deserve this awesome opportunity. We have been blessed to be part of a church that doesn't settle for contentment. They aren't afraid to challenge us and expect us to grow. They are committed to encouraging us and speaking truth in love to us. They have taught us how to hear God's voice and how to have faith even when it seems impossible. 

Would we have started this process to become missionaries without Life Point? I have no idea. I am still flabbergasted that we even have. I believe it would have still been part of God's Will for our lives, but I really don't think I would have listened. God would have had to speak a lot louder and worked a lot harder I'm sure. I can be stubborn like that. I am so grateful for Life Point, for Pastor Aaron and his family, for the countless friends that encourage me and support me every day. I'm praying that you can say the same about your church family. If not, I invite you to join ours!

Striving to Grow- Anne

"I pray that your love will overflow more and more, and that you will keep on growing in knowledge and understanding." -Philippians 1:9

No comments:

Post a Comment