Friday, September 12, 2014

Unexpected Blessings

A funny thing happens when God calls you to Mission work...you think the blessing is going to come when you actually go...but God is so much better than that! Over the past few years God has taught me that half of the fun and blessings come from the process of preparing to go! The unexpected people that jump in to support you financially; the ways God intervenes to make sure you are funded; the growth in faith required to go...all of these things are remarkable and miraculous in their own right. However, we have experienced even greater surprises!

Prior to leaving for Jamaica last year, both Noah and Annabelle were saved! It wasn't too much of a surprise about Annabelle, although she did spring it on me during dinner. One of my very favorite memories of all time! But Noah....well, that was another story. We had been going through a really tough time with him. We couldn't figure out where our sweet, funny, Noah had gone. He was angry all of the time and would rage. We took him to counseling which helped a good bit, but I still felt like he was slipping out of our reach. We prayed and prayed that he would be saved. I have to admit though. It was one of those prayers that I wasn't sure God could answer any time soon. I doubted that He could intervene and make everything right.  But He did! So much so, that we were able to baptize both of them in the Montego Bay! It was amazing!!!

And now, I am getting to experience it all over again! Over the summer we decided to cut back on media. So, no media during the day for the kids, and then after dinner we will do our devotion and then they can have media back. I was excited to get rid of the distractions, but I didn't realize how it would affect Noah! He is our media junkie. He wants to create and program video games when he grows up. He is extremely intelligent, so I have no doubt he will do just that. However, when it comes to being vocal about his faith, he is very timid. 

All of a sudden, he is leading us in the devotion time. He gets it out on his own, finds the scripture, reads it, and asks us the questions. Now, I know it began because he knew if he started it then he would get to play media sooner, but now it has developed. He used to only pray out loud with a scripted meal blessing. Then we would have to force him to try a devotion closing prayer with feeding him the lines. Now, he just jumps right in without being asked and says his own prayer to God related to what we just discussed!!! I am absolutely floored!!! If God never and gets us to Kenya, but gives us this....I am one satisfied mom!!!

But the good news is, I know God isn't going to just give us this. He is far more generous than I could ever be. He has called us to mission work and so He will see us through. We began our online auction last night. The bids are pouring in, but more excitingly, so are the donations. Friends, and friends of friends, are wanting to get involved so they are offering up their skills and products so that we can go. My heart is full. Thank you Jesus!

Undeservingly Blessed- Anne

"Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good! His faithful love endures forever." -Psalm 107:1

No comments:

Post a Comment